Never Events are preventable patient safety incidents that should not occur if all proper procedures are followed. From a medical negligence claim perspective, Never Events are largely indefensible.
For free legal advice call our Medical Negligence Solicitors on 0330 606 9587 or contact us online and we will help you.
Never Events include incidents such as:
- Wrong site surgery
- Retained surgical instruments
- Misplacement of naso-gastric tubes
Although these events should not happen, recently published data from the NHS shows that, between 1 April 2016 and 31 October 2016, a total of 233 Never Events occurred. These included:
- 85 instances of wrong site surgery
- 60 instances of retained foreign objects post-surgery
- 32 instances of the wrong implant/prosthesis being used
- 29 instances of wrong route administration of medication
- 14 instances of misplaced naso or oro gastric tubes
- 3 instances of overdose of methotrexate for non-cancer treatment
The NHS publish provisional Never Events data every month.
Our Medical Negligence Solicitors offer free legal advice for victims of clinical or medical negligence. Most claims can be dealt with on a No Win No Fee basis.
For free legal advice call our Medical Negligence Solicitors on 0330 606 9587 or contact us online and we will call you.