Civil partnership dissolution

Our civil partnership dissolution service provides you with a family law solicitor to dissolve your civil partnership for you.

How much does a civil partnership dissolution cost?

At Co-op Legal Services our fixed fee civil partnership dissolution service costs £750 including VAT for uncontested cases.

For a contested civil partnership dissolution, solicitor fees start from £210 per hour including VAT.

We will agree our legal fee with you upfront before any legal work starts. Once we have provided you with a written quote for the agreed work to be done on your civil partnership dissolution, that price will not change.

Please note, in addition to our fixed fee a court fee of £593 will be payable directly to the court.

Ending a civil partnership in England or Wales

You are required to have been in a civil partnership for at least a year before you can apply to the court to end it, this is called dissolving a civil partnership. You are not free to enter into another civil partnership until this process is complete and you have received the dissolution order.

To dissolve a civil partnership, you need to prove the irretrievable breakdown of the relationship because of at least one of the following:

  • unreasonable behaviour
  • 2 years' separation with consent
  • 5 years' separation
  • desertion

It is very important that you get legal advice on ending your civil partnership as early as possible to ensure that proceedings are issued on the most appropriate basis. Amending court documents at a later stage can lead to delay and unnecessary costs.

How long does it take to end a civil partnership?

If there are no complications, the civil partnership dissolution process generally takes four to six months to complete.

Important: In order to protect your financial assets, we recommend that you resolve your money matters alongside dissolving your civil partnership, and, depending upon the particular facts of your case, we may recommend delaying the application to finalise the process until your money matters have been resolved.

Any alternatives to dissolving a civil partnership?

If you want to separate from your civil partner but don’t want to dissolve the partnership, or it has been less than a year since you registered your civil partnership, you can apply to the court for a separation order.

The family court will grant you a separation order if you can prove at least one of the following:

  • your partner has behaved unreasonably
  • you and your partner have lived apart for two years, and you both agree to a separation order
  • you and your partner have lied apart for at least five years
  • your partner has deserted you

If you get a separation order and want to dissolve your civil partnership at a later stage, you will be able to use the same evidence you used to get the separation order.

About Co-op Legal Services

The family law team at Co-op Legal Services includes specialist family solicitors, divorce solicitors and children law solicitors with Resolution accreditation and accredited experts in child abduction, co-habitation, domestic abuse, property disputes, high net worth money matters and financial advocacy.

Resolution is a national organisation of family lawyers committed to non-confrontational divorce, separation and other family problems.

As part of the Co-op Group, our values of openness, honesty, social responsibility and caring for others are core to the service we provide.