Co-op Legal Services has over 600 staff working in different businesses with offices in Manchester, Bristol, Stratford-upon-Avon, Sheffield and London.
We are the largest provider of Probate and Estate administration services in England and Wales, trusted to deal with over £1.3 billion in Estates annually.
In addition, Scottish legal services (Executry / Probate, Wills and Power of Attorney) are provided in partnership with McClure Solicitors. McClure Solicitors is a trading name of W W & J McClure Ltd, which is authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (Reg No 618692) and is authorised and Regulated by the Law Society of Scotland (Reg No 19114).
As part of the Co-op Group our values of openness, honesty, social responsibility and caring for others are core to the service we provide.
We offer expert legal advice without jargon for a wide range of consumer legal services to members of the Co-op Group and to the general public. Our customers consistently rate the quality of our legal advice and services at 4.5 out of 5 stars. See customer reviews for Co-op Legal Services.
Once we have provided you with a written quote for the agreed work to be done, that price will not change.
Co-op Legal Services is divided into six legal practise areas which offer different levels of advice and support:
Unlike many other law firms and businesses, we only provide legal services to private individuals. This removes any potential conflict that may exist between providing legal services to individuals and large corporate businesses at the same time.
It also enables us to concentrate on developing highly efficient systems and processes which, backed by experienced legal teams, ensures that each client receives the very best customer service and achievable outcome.
Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
The Co-operative Legal Services and Co-op Legal Services are trading names for Co-operative Legal Services Limited. Company Number 05671209. Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under registration number 567391.
Our aim is to offer accessible legal advice and support without the jargon and with no hidden costs. Many law firms don’t show their fees or show costs on their websites or quote prices without VAT. We believe this is potentially misleading which is why you will find many of our fixed fee services quote the cost with and without VAT. This way you know exactly what the price is.
We also believe that you should be able to arrange to talk to a Solicitor at a time and place to suit you… which is why we don’t make you travel to meet your legal advisor, and why we provide our legal services directly over the phone, by e-mail and post.
Professional yet personable, our specialist Solicitors and legal advisors take a different approach, one where you choose the exact level of legal advice and support that you need at every stage.
Plus we’ll make sure everything is explained in clear, simple terms – avoiding legal jargon wherever possible to help you better understand your legal situation and how we’re helping you.
At Co-op Legal Services we believe everyone should have easy access to quality legal services at a price they can afford. With this central to our belief, our approach is to offer a range of pricing options from low cost ‘do it yourself’ packages, to fixed price legal services and fixed hourly Solicitor fees which we specify on all applicable web pages. This helps you to make a decision about costs that is right for you.
We want to make sure you’re happy with the cost before we start any work. So we will always provide a written quote for the agreed work to be done, and that price will not change.
Being upfront and transparent about our legal fees means there are no nasty surprises and you stay in control of costs.
Call Co-op Legal Services on 0330 606 9548 or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you.
Co-op Legal Services was established in 2006 initially to provide legal services to all Co-op members. Since then it has grown its range of services and now provides a complete range of private client legal services to both Co-op members and the general public.
Co-op Legal Services History
- 2006 Company founded to provide Personal Injury and Legal Advice services to Co-op members
- 2007 Introduced Wills, Probate and Conveyancing services offered to Co-op members
- 2012 Becomes first Alternative Business Structure, under 2007 Legal Services Act
Introduced new Family Law and Employment Law services
- 2014 Established market-leading position for Probate
Co-op Legal Services Facts & Figures
- Part of the Co-op Group, the UK’s largest mutual business, which is owned by millions of UK consumers.
- Became the first ABS within the UK in 2012
- It is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- It is based in three locations London, Manchester and Bristol
- Currently employs more than 300 staff
- Gets 100,000+ calls a year from members and consumers looking for legal advice and support
- It is a market leader in Probate and Estate Administration and one of the leading Will writing businesses in England and Wales.
Part of the Co-op Group
Co-op Legal Services is part of the Co-op Group which employs approximately 70,000 people and is the UK’s largest mutual business, owned by millions of UK consumers. The Co-op Group was established in 1844 and today, as well as having clear financial and operational objectives, it is a recognised leader for its social goals and community-led programmes.
Although a completely separate business, with its own Executive Management Team, Co-op Legal Services also forms part of the Co-op Groups Consumer Services Division along with Co-op Funeralcare and Co-op Insurance.
Co-op Legal Services Managing Director, Matt Howells, is also a member of the Consumer Services Executive Board.
As part of the Co-op Group, our overall aim is aligned to the Groups purpose which is “championing a better way of doing business for you and your communities”. Our ethos and culture of working in an ethical and responsible manner are very much based on traditional Co-operative values which include:
- Self-help - Helping people to help themselves.
- Self-responsibility - Taking responsibility for, and answer to our actions.
- Equity - We carry out our business in a way that is fair and unbiased.
We also operate through a number of ethical values which are core to the service that we provide. These include:
- Openness - Nobody’s perfect, and we won’t hide it when we’re not.
- Honesty - We are honest about what we do and the way we do it, what we can do and what we can’t or won’t do.
- Social responsibility - We encourage people to take responsibility for their own community, and work together to improve it.
- Caring for others - We regularly fund charities and local community groups from the profits of our businesses.
Thank you for visiting Co-op Legal Services.