Slips trips and falls injury claims

Nurse helping patient

Most slips, trips and falls claims can be dealt with on a No Win No Fee basis.

We offer a free injury claim assessment service to help you understand whether there’s a realistic chance of successfully claiming compensation. Just provide us with the details about the accident and your personal injuries, and we will assess your claim free of charge.

Can I claim compensation?

You can claim compensation for your personal injuries if they were caused by a slip, trip or fall accident that was the fault of another person or party, such as a business or local authority. Compensation claims are subject to time limits and other exemptions which we will explain if they apply to your claim.

Many slip, trip and fall accident claims are the result of liquid on floors and defects in pavements. It’s common for liquid to be accidentally spilled on the floor of a workplace, shop, supermarket, café or restaurant.

However, when these accidents cause injuries at a business or public location, then a compensation claim can be made, providing it can be proven that the business, Council or property owner was negligent or in breach of their legal duty.

For example, if you slipped and fell on liquid inside a shop or an office when the entrance should have been made safe, then (in most cases) this would constitute a breach of legal duty.

Public liability vs occupiers liability claims

Personal injury claims against Local Authorities are often called Public Liability claims and claims for accidents occurring on private property such as shops and offices are called Occupiers Liability claims.

Slips, trips and falls in the workplace

The most common types of accidents at work are slips, trips and falls. Whether you work in a warehouse, office, shop, factory or you drive a company delivery vehicle, there is always a potential risk of slipping, tripping or falling whilst you work.

If you are injured in an accident at work in England or Wales you are protected in two ways.

Firstly, it is illegal for an employer to terminate your employment if you claim for a work accident. Secondly, employers are required by law to have Employers Liability insurance coverage to protect staff against work accidents, and to provide compensation when an employer is found to be at fault for an employees’ injuries.

So, in a lot of workplace fall accident cases the compensation is claimed from the Employers Liability insurance company and not the employer.

For more information see Fall from Height Injury Compensation.

Can I claim on a no win no fee basis?

When we have the details about your slip and fall accident we will provide you with free legal advice and review your claim for compensation free of charge. After a Personal Injury expert has assessed your case we will advise you about No Win No Fee and recommend the best way for you to proceed.

With a No Win No Fee agreement there is no financial risk to you, win or lose*.

Rehabilitation, recovery and compensation

If we take on your claim we will take steps to enable your medical condition to be assessed by a medical expert. At Co-op Legal Services we ensure that you are fully supported throughout your claim, whatever your injuries or your circumstances.

In some cases Interim Payments of compensation can be applied for before the claim is settled. You will be advised about Interim Payments if they become available in your case.

Your Personal Injury Solicitor will work to determine who is at fault for your injuries and collect evidence to support getting an admission of liability (fault) from the other side. After we review the evidence from your case and details from previous claims we calculate the amount of compensation you should receive, plus damages for items including lost earnings, out of pocket expenses, prescriptions and travel.

Your Personal Injury Solicitor can negotiate with the other side or start litigation (the process of taking legal action) to secure a fair compensation settlement for you as soon as possible.

Common types of slip trip and fall accidents

Tripping, slipping and falling injuries are often caused by:

  • Wet floors, for example when a leak or spillage occurs and it has not been cleaned up nor warning signs put in place.
  • Uneven floors, for example when a step is cracked, chipped or has a hole which has not been repaired or made safe.
  • Loose flooring, for example when linoleum or carpet has become detached from the floor and has not been repaired or made safe.
  • Hazards, for example when electrical cables become loose or trail and they have not been made safe or secured.
  • Debris on floor, for example waste products which have fallen to the floor and have not been cleared up

* Subject to entering into and complying with the terms of a No Win No Fee agreement and an After The Event insurance policy.

About Co-op Legal Services

As part of the largest Co-operative organisation in the UK, Co-op Legal Services works to ensure that our clients receive the best legal advice and support services available from our teams of personal injury and clinical negligence solicitors, legal executives and staff.

We are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and several of our Personal Injury Solicitors are members of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

Co-op Legal Services has over 600 staff working in different businesses with offices in Manchester, Bristol, Stratford-upon-Avon, Sheffield and London.