Residential conveyancing FAQ

Find answers to questions about conveyancing

What is conveyancing?

Conveyancing is the process of legally transferring ownership of a property or land. For example, this would be required when you buy or sell a property or remortgage.

I am a first time buyer looking to buy a house with my partner. Will I have to pay stamp duty?

The stamp duty land tax relief for first time buyers ended on 24th March 2012.

From 8 July 2020 to 31 March 2021, there is a stamp duty holiday in place, with stamp duty no longer payable on the first £500,000 of a property. For more information, see the stamp duty holiday explained.

Outside of the stamp duty holiday, the stamp duty thresholds are:

Property or lease premium or transfer value SDLT rate
Up to £125,000 Zero
The next £125,000 (the portion from £125,001 to £250,000) 2%
The next £675,000 (the portion from £250,001 to £925,000) 5%
The next £575,000 (the portion from £925,001 to £1.5 million) 10%
The remaining amount (the portion above £1.5 million) 12%

How long will the whole process of buying a property take?

The Conveyancing process takes on average six to twelve weeks. This can vary however depending on the length of the ‘chain’ of connected transactions and the complexity of the transaction.

The Conveyancing process comprises of three stages, and there are tasks to be carried out at each:

  • Pre-Contract
  • Exchange of Contracts
  • Completion

What is a mortgage survey and what options of mortgage surveys are generally available?

The main reason for a survey is so you and the lender can find out whether the property is actually worth the amount you have agreed to pay for it. There are 3 main types of surveys available and they vary greatly in price.

  • Option 1: The simplest and cheapest option is to rely on the valuation from the lender. The lender will send out one of their own valuers to put a value on the property so they can ensure the property is good security for the loan. Lenders will provide a copy of this report but there is not much information to assist you. The report will not tell you whether you have offered too much.
  • Option 2: The middle option is to have a home buyers report. The lender’s valuer will normally carry out this report at the same time. This survey is not as comprehensive as a full structural survey but will highlight parts of the property that need further investigation. Invariably, the surveyor will not inspect unexposed or inaccessible areas of the property, for instance, the roof or below the floorboards.
  • Option 3: The most expensive option is the full structural survey. This will be carried out by a qualified structural surveyor and will provide a detailed report on the structural condition of the building. This type of report is advisable if the property is of a high value; the property is more than 100 years old; the property has been completely renovated or you intend to do so and if the property is not a conventional brick or mortar construction

When choosing between the different types of survey, you need to remember that once you have bought the property you will be responsible for any repairs or major work that needs to be done. If you go for a more detailed report from the outset this will hopefully enable you to make a more informed decision on whether the property is worth the asking price and will put you in a stronger negotiating position in relation to price. If you need help making a choice then speak to your Conveyancer.

I am looking to buy a property with my partner. What are the different ways in which my partner and I can own our home?

There are two ways in which the property can be held, either as ‘joint tenants’ or ‘tenants in common’. It is extremely important to consider the different options available to co-own a property.

When you co-own a property as joint tenants, each co-owner owns the whole of the property and neither owner has a specific or identifiable share. Under a tenancy in common, each co-owner owns a specific share in the property. Please follow the links below and ensure that your specific situation is discussed in detail with your conveyancer before proceeding with your purchase.

I am about to put my house on the market and am unsure if I should tell potential buyers about some problems I have had with my neighbours in the past

Problems with neighbours are always an unpleasant occurrence and may well affect the sale of your property. If you have a serious dispute and do not disclose this to a buyer then you may find yourself being sued in the future.

A seller will be required to complete a Sellers Property Information form, which will ask for information about the property. This is where any reported neighbour disputes should be disclosed. Problems with neighbours can include disputes over land, shared driveways, hedge height and boundary lines. Problems such as loud music or a barking dog need not always be mentioned as they are very subjective. For example, you may be more sensitive to the music than someone else. A good deciding factor as to whether the problem is one you should disclose is whether you have made an official complaint to the local council or police force. If you have lodged an official complaint then if this is not disclosed and the new owners decide to sue you it may be hard to defend a claim as the complaint shows you were aware there was an issue before you sold.

Before deciding whether to disclose any problem to a potential buyer speak to your Conveyancer for guidance as disclosing a problem will likely affect the value of the property.

Before making a formal complaint about a neighbour it is worth considering the effect this could have if you intend to sell in the near future!

Conveyancing partner

Co-op Legal Services works closely with our conveyancing partners, to ensure they provide you with a high quality, fast and competitively priced service. Once you agree, you will become their client and they will undertake your conveyancing work. Our Approved Partner will confirm the contact information, experience and qualifications of anyone carrying out the work for you and will give you their terms of business.

We monitor the service our conveyancing partners provide to ensure it provides you with the service you would expect to receive. Our partners are fully regulated and authorised by the Council for Licensed Conveyancers and/or the Solicitors Regulation Authority. For introducing you, our conveyancing partners will pay Co-op Legal Services a referral fee. The amount of the referral fee may vary depending on the conveyancing partner. This is not added to your charges and you will not have to pay anything extra. It is paid directly by them to cover our marketing and administration costs.