Construction accident claims and compensation

If you have suffered an injury or illness as a result of working on a construction site, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

The construction industry is statistically one of the most dangerous sectors to work in, consistently accounting for the majority of workplace injuries every year in the UK.

Our Personal Injury Lawyers offer free legal advice about construction or building site accident and illness compensation claims. We also offer a free assessment of your claim to help you understand if your claim could succeed.

Most accident at work claims can be dealt with on a no win no fee basis.

Types of construction injury accidents and illnesses

Statistics from the HSE reveal that in 2019 there were 54,000 non-fatal injuries to workers in the construction industry and 36 construction workers were killed in fatal accidents. This makes construction sites one of the most dangerous places to work.

Common types of construction injuries reported by employers:

Common types of construction work-related illness:

HSE reported 79,000 cases of self-reported work-related illnesses in the construction industry in 2019, with around 3.4% of construction workers suffering from an illness they believed to be work-related.

Common construction work related illnesses include:

If you have suffered with a work-related illness that you believe was caused by working on a building site or in the construction industry, you may have a claim for personal injury compensation.

Construction accidents - how to claim compensation

If the accident occurred because of substandard health and safety practices, then the injured person may be able to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

In order to make a successful injury claim, the injured person must be able to show that:

  • he/she was owed a duty of care by another person or organisation (most commonly, their employer)
  • this duty of care was breached
  • this breach caused the accident and the consequent injuries to occur.

If you are able to prove these things, you will be awarded compensation that reflects the pain and suffering you have experienced after the construction accident and covers rehabilitation costs and other financial losses incurred. The success of your claim therefore hinges on your ability to provide evidence that shows the above criteria were met.

It is always best when a Personal Injury Solicitor pursues the claim on your behalf. Nevertheless, there are certain things you can do to assist your construction accident claim. For example, you should:

  • report the construction site accident to your employer or site manager
  • ensure the incident is recorded in the accident book
  • write down exactly what happened and the details of your injuries, as well as any medical attention you received
  • get the names and contact details of anyone who witnessed the accident
  • take pictures of the accident scene if it is safe to do so
  • keep a record of all the money you have lost as a result of the accident
  • keep all the receipts relating to the money you have spent because of your injuries.

In certain work accident compensation claims we can apply for Interim Payments of compensation to be paid before the case has been settled, but this only applies in certain cases and only after the other side has admitted liability. We will advise you if and when Interim Payments can be applied for in your case.

About Co-op Legal Services

As part of the largest Co-operative organisation in the UK, Co-op Legal Services works to ensure that our clients receive the best legal advice and support services available from our teams of personal injury and clinical negligence solicitors, legal executives and staff.

We are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and several of our Personal Injury Solicitors are members of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

Co-op Legal Services has over 600 staff working in different businesses with offices in Manchester, Bristol, Stratford-upon-Avon, Sheffield and London.