Steps in Staircasing | Guide to Buying Shares in Your Home

Steps in Staircasing

Get a Free Online Conveyancing Quote Right Now

This step-by-step guide shows the different stages involved in buying further shares (staircasing) in a shared ownership lease.

Step 1 Work out what you think the market value of your home is. Decide what share you would like to buy, and make sure you have enough money to pay for the new share, and immediately to pay your Solicitor or Conveyancer, Surveyor and Housing Association costs.

Step 2 Contact your Housing Association, they will be able to provide further guidance. You will need to complete their application form.

Step 3 Receive confirmation from your Housing Association that you are eligible to buy the further shares you want. You will usually now have to pay their administration fee and the Surveyor’s fees.

Step 4 Your Housing Association will arrange for the valuation to be carried. Time is now ticking you must complete the Staircasing within 3 months of the date of the valuation, otherwise a new valuation or an update may be required and you will have to pay the cost of this. If the new valuation is different, the price you pay will be calculated on the new valuation whether or not this is higher or lower than the original.

Step 5 Your Housing Association will write to you setting out the price you need to pay for the further shares

Step 6 You need to appoint a Solicitor or Conveyancer to act for you. We have a range of experienced conveyancing partners who can offer expert help and advice to you, along with a fixed conveyancing fee.

Step 7 All the home owners must accept the offer to buy in writing. Failure to do this may mean that your application will not progress.

Step 8 Your Housing Association will appoint a Solicitor or Conveyancer to act for them.

Step 9 The paperwork in connection with the Staircasing is prepared by the Landlord’s Conveyancer and approved by your Solicitor or Conveyancer

Step 10 Complete the Staircasing. The fact you have bought more shares is recoded in a formal document called a Memorandum of Staircasing. This is signed by you and the Housing Association.

If you own a flat and you Staircase to 100% your lease may be amended (varied) to record the fact it is no longer a Shared Ownership Lease or you may take a transfer of the lease owned by the Housing Association and your shared ownership lease comes to an end.

If you own a house and you Staircase to 100%, the Freehold of your home may be transferred to you, usually on the terms set out in your Shared Ownership Lease.

Step 11 Your Conveyancer will register the legal documents relating to your purchase of additional shares as evidence of your entitlement to the additional shares.

Co-op Legal Services has a panel of specialist solicitors and conveyancers who are experts in shared ownership leases. They can guide you through the process and give you clear and simple explanations of what is involved.

Get a Free Online Conveyancing Quote Right Now

Co-op Legal Services has over 600 staff working in different businesses with offices in Manchester, Bristol, Stratford-upon-Avon, Sheffield and London.

Customer Satisfaction

4.5 stars out of 5 for Customer Satisfaction Rating

4.3 stars based on 691 Independent Surveys 

Back to top