For free initial advice on Probate call our Probate Advisors on 03306069584 or contact us online and we will help you.
Ms S used the Co-op Legal Services Will Writing service in 2012. After speaking to her closest family members about her Estate, she decided she would like to leave the bulk of her Estate to charity.
Ms S instructed our Will writers to draft her Will. She left cash legacies to family and friends and left her Residuary Estate, which was worth in excess of £1m, to thirty different animal charities.
Ms S decided that she would also like Co-op Legal Services to handle the administration of her Estate on her death, so she appointed our Trust Corporation as Executor of her Will.
How We Helped
When Ms S died in 2016, her niece contacted our Probate team to let us know, and to provide us with the death certificate and Ms S’s financial papers. The file was then allocated to Co-op Probate Solicitor Kate Rutherford who dealt with the administration of Ms S’s Estate.
The administration of her Estate included:
- Paying for Ms S’s funeral
- Liaising with the tenants of Ms S’s property, including collecting rental income due and serving them with notice to leave the property
- Regularly reporting to the charitable beneficiaries, providing them with information regarding the assets and liabilities of the Estate, and updating them on and involving them in the administration of the Estate
- Reporting to HMRC with the full Inheritance Tax (IHT) return and claiming the appropriate charitable exemption
- Arranging professional valuations of Ms S’s property
- Arranging for the property to be cleared and secured once the tenants had left
- Arranging for the property to be sold at auction
Following the sale of Ms S’s property, we paid all the Estate liabilities and then distributed the legacies provided by her Will.
We arranged payment of the Residuary Estate worth £1.2m to the thirty charitable beneficiaries.
With our Probate Complete Service we take full responsibility for getting Grant of Probate and dealing with the Legal, Tax (excl VAT), Property and Estate Administration affairs.