What is a Property Information Form?

18 October 2018

A sellers property information form (also called a SPIF) is a Law Society Transaction form coded TA6 that the seller of a property needs to complete during the Conveyancing process. The form enables the seller to provide comprehensive information about the property to the buyer, so that they can make a fully informed decision on whether or not to proceed with their purchase.

Completing the Property Information Form

Once you have agreed a sale on your property, you will need to fill in the property information form which will be passed to your buyer's solicitor. Your Conveyancer or Conveyancing Solicitor will provide you with the form, but this is also available to download from the Law Society website.

The form is substantial; it is 16 pages long and divided into 14 sections. It's a good idea to allow yourself plenty of time to complete this form as you may need to locate paperwork or find out missing information if there are any details that you are unsure of.

It's also important to note that the form needs to be completed accurately and truthfully as described on the instructions on page 2. Guessing at any missing information, leaving details out or providing misleading responses could land you in very hot water. This is a legally binding document which will be studied in detail by the buyers and their solicitor, and if it transpires that this has not been completed correctly or truthfully then the buyer could be entitled to make a claim against you or refuse to complete their purchase of the property.

If any information changes or new information is received after the form has been completed then you must notify your Conveyancer, so they can pass this on to the buyer's Solicitor before completion takes place.

What Does the Form Cover?

The property information form covers a wide range of topics relating to all aspects of the property in question. In brief, this includes:

  • Details of the seller and contact details for their Conveyancer
  • Boundaries and who is responsible for maintaining these
  • Details of neighbour disputes or formal complaints made against the neighbours
  • Planning applications and other notices or proposals affecting the property
  • Details of building work on the property, including planning permission and buildings regulation approval
  • Details of replacement windows or doors that have been fitted, with FENSA certificate information where required
  • Details of electrical work that has been carried out and associated safety certificates
  • Details of gas work that has been carried out, safety certificates and boiler servicing information
  • Council tax band
  • Guarantees and warranties relating to the property (ie on building work)
  • Environmental risks, such as flooding and radon levels
  • Formal or informal arrangements that are currently in place, such as allowing a neighbour to use a parking space or share access
  • Additional charges that the buyer could be responsible for, such as rental on a garage or outbuilding
  • Details of all those occupying the property and confirmation of whether they will leave the property on completion of the sale
  • Dates when you would like to aim to complete the sale
  • Sewerage information (ie whether the property is connected to mains sewers or if there is a septic tank)
  • Names of the current utility suppliers

Supporting Documentation

It's important to provide copies of documentation wherever possible. Any work electrical, gas or building work that has been recently carried out will need to be supported with certificates or other documents to verify that this work was carried out to the required standard by qualified professionals.

If the property has a gas supply and a boiler, it is a legal requirement for this to be serviced regularly, so you will need to provide service records to show that this is up to date. For more information, see What Paperwork Do I Need to Sell My House?

If you are missing any of this paperwork then you will need to state this on the form. Speak to your Conveyancer about what options you have. You may need to get a professional to come and certify electrical work retrospectively, for example, or you may need to take out an indemnity policy. Either way, any missing documentation is likely to incur additional costs for you, but it is not an insurmountable issue providing it is dealt with in the correct way.

More articles