If you have been named as the Executor in a Will, you will probably have to complete Probate on the Estate and there are a number of ways of doing this. You can do this on your own by getting the documents and completing the Probate process yourself. However, there are some challenges involved.
Another option is to buy a DIY Probate kit, these kits usually include template letters, detailed instructions on the processes involved and the necessary forms required to complete Probate if there is a Will or if there is no Will in place, can also help you to obtain the Letters of Administration.
Many people don't know that if a mistake is made in the Probate process or the administration of the Estate, as Executor you can be held liable.
With our Probate Complete Service we take full responsibility for getting Grant of Probate and dealing with the Legal, Tax (excl VAT), Property and Estate Administration affairs.
If you do decide that you would like to take on the responsibility of completing Probate yourself, you can get a Probate application form PA1 from the Gov.uk website.
When you review the PA1 form, there is quite a lot of legal language, which can be confusing. It is absolutely essential that you correctly complete the PA1 form as you may be held liable if things go wrong. You can ask for help and advice from the Probate and Inheritance Tax helpline, however depending on the circumstances, they might not be able to offer advice on your specific situation or case.
To remove any uncertainty about whether or not Probate has been completed properly, the best option is to instruct a specialist Probate Solicitor to complete the Probate process for you.
The advantages of instructing Probate Solicitors at Co-op Legal Services to complete the process for you include:
- Fixed fee agreed upfront before any work starts.
- We take full responsibility for getting the Grant of Probate and dealing with the legal, tax (excluding VAT), property & Estate Administration affairs.
- We can settle the cost of a Co-op Funeralcare funeral and reimburse any deposit paid, as soon as you have instructed us to represent you*.
- Free initial face to face meeting with a local Probate Consultant at home or another location of your choice (in England or Wales).
- Complete on-going customer support from start to finish.
*Providing that the Estate owns sufficient assets that can be sold in due course.
Co-op Legal Services are one of the largest providers of Probate and Estate Administration services in England and Wales.