You have found your dream property, your offer has been accepted and you are ready to move forward with the conveyancing process but how do you choose the right Conveyancer to support you through the move?
There are many things you'll want from your conveyancing firm. You'll probably want to build a rapport with them, trust them to provide you with a quality service, understand your concerns, communicate effectively with you from start to finish and also to meet your timelines too. But can you really find all of these things and if so, how do you go about it?
There are various options you can choose from contacting a local Conveyancer, using a comparison website, using the estate agent's nominated Conveyancer or instructing your own Conveyancer online.
Whatever way you decide to choose your Conveyancer, think about our top tips to choosing the right Conveyancer for you in our checklist:
- You don't need to use a local Solicitor. Most property conveyancing transactions are now dealt with by post, phone, email and even Skype. Some law firms also have extended opening hours to meet their client's needs and are available later in the evening or even at weekends. If this type of flexibility is important to you, ask the question before you make a final decision.
- Ask for a full fee breakdown. Your quote should list and outline all items included in the conveyancing fee. Check there are no hidden extras and the fee you are quoted is the fee you pay. This is also known as a fixed fee, but be aware that some Conveyancers can add hidden fees on top of your initial quote. These can include fees for:
- buying with a mortgage
- buying an unregistered property
- completing a Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) form
- purchasing a new build property
- for verifying your identity and identification
Making the decision about which Conveyancer to use can be a difficult one, so do your research well. Speak to friends and family for recommendations but more importantly, use this checklist to ask the right questions.
At Co-op Legal Services we know how stressful moving house can be, so we want to make life as easy as possible for you.
We offer a Fixed Fee Conveyancing with a No Sale No Fee Guarantee for properties across the UK, including Scotland and Northern Ireland; so you can be certain that whatever happens, you won't pay more than you budget for.