Claiming for an Accident Caused By an Uninsured Driver

12 April 2016

Every year there are 1 million people who drive without car insurance in the UK, 3% of everyone who uses our roads. Add this to the increase of uninsured driver claims in the last three years and your chances of having a road accident with and being injured by an uninsured driver have increased.

There are many reasons why someone may be driving without insurance. It may have lapsed and they have forgotten to renew it, they could be driving someone else's vehicle and think they have third party cover, but haven't checked the policy or they may just not want to pay for car insurance or cannot afford it. The reason doesn't matter – they are still driving without insurance.

You may worry that there is nothing you can do if you are injured in a road accident with a driver who has no insurance. But you can take action.

Call our Personal Injury Solicitors on 0330 606 9587 or contact us online and we will help you.

What is the Motor Insurers Bureau?

The Government recognised the need to help people who were injured in road accidents with uninsured drivers through no fault of their own. They set up the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) in 1947 to compensate people who have accidents with uninsured drivers.

The Motor Insurers Bureau has many more rules and regulations than making a normal claim and it is vital that you understand the rules and processes so that your claim is not refused. The best way to do this is to ask a Personal Injury Solicitor to help you with your injury claim.

What information to take at the scene of the accident

You need to know whether the person who caused the road accident has insurance or not. The askMID service allows you to check a vehicle registration free of charge, with a smartphone at the roadside. This will tell you if you have had an accident with an uninsured driver.

You do need all the usual details from the uninsured driver. You need their name, address, vehicle registration and the make and model of the vehicle. If you do get a phone number or email address, even better. Of course, if you are seriously injured in the accident, you won't be in a position to get this information. If this happens, the Police will hopefully attend the accident scene and will get this information themselves.

After the road accident, you will need to report the collision to your insurance provider. They may also be in a position to track down the uninsured driver. Give them all the details you have.

What to Do Next

You can submit a claim to the Motor Insurers Bureau yourself, but the rules around making a personal injury claim with the Motor Insurers Bureau are complicated and any tiny mistake can result in your claim not being paid.

Using a Co-op Personal Injury Solicitor with expertise in Motor Insurers Bureau claims will make sure that your injury claim is not thrown out on a technicality and you maximise the compensation you get for the injuries you have.

The Law Society carried out research to show that using a Solicitor for a personal injury claim will help you to get 2 or 3 times more compensation than you would if you go it alone.

Useful Information Required

You need to keep a record of all the expenses you've paid because of your injuries. This can include prescription charges, over the counter pain killers or travel costs to get to a medical appointment.

You can claim back the excess you paid to your insurance company if they repair your vehicle. If your road accident happened after 1 August 2015 and you have fully comprehensive insurance, you have to claim through your insurance company, as the Motor Insurers Bureau have changed their rules.

How Our Personal Injury Solicitors Can Help You

Co-op Legal Services deal with road accident claims on a No Win No Fee basis, this means you won't pay any legal costs, win or lose*.

We pride ourselves on our values of openness, honesty and fairness and it is because of these values, we will do all we can to get you the compensation you are entitled to.

If you have been injured in a road accident caused by an uninsured driver, call our Personal Injury Solicitors for free legal advice on 0330 606 9587 or contact us online.

* Subject to entering into and complying with the terms of a No Win No Fee Agreement and taking out and complying with the terms of an After The Event insurance policy (when appropriate).

More articles