As the largest provider of Probate and administration services in England and Wales, we frequently have opportunities for driven professionals to join us at Co-op Legal Services. But did you know that you don't need to have a legal background to build a legal career in Probate with Co-op?
Head to the Co-op Careers Portal to view all jobs and apply.
In our experience, tax professionals looking to move into a legal career make excellent Probate Case Managers. Here's why...
There are a number of key skills that are essential to a career in Probate. Fortunately, as a tax professional it's likely that you'll possess some or all of these skills already.
- In-depth understanding of corporate and personal tax matters – As a Probate Case Manager you will be responsible for dealing with tax matters associated with an Estate, so a sound understanding of tax thresholds, reliefs, exemptions and payment deadlines is invaluable.
- Problem solving – Any number of complications can arise during the administration of an Estate, and as a Probate Case Manager, you'll be the person coming up with the solutions to these problems.
- Analytical skills – As a Probate Case Manager, you will need to analyse and interpret information, and this can often be complex.
- Working with third parties – There are a number of third parties that you will need to liaise and collaborate with as a Probate Case Manager. Working alongside professional third parties is often par for the course in a tax environment, and will stand you in good stead.
- Managing workload and meeting deadlines – When carrying out Probate and Estate Administration you'll be subject to a number of deadlines, so will need to manage your time to meet these deadlines. Any experience you've gained of adhering to external deadlines in a tax environment will prove valuable here.
- Commercial astuteness – As a Probate Case Manager, you will need to keep on top of changes to legislation as well as staying abreast of the ever-changing tax landscape. As a tax professional, you're likely to already be tuned into this.
- Financial prowess – Throughout the administration of an Estate, the Probate Case Manager is responsible for managing the flow of money into and out of the Estate and preparing comprehensive Estate Accounts. Existing financial prowess that you've nurtured in a tax environment will aid this.
So What Does a Probate Case Manager Do Exactly?
So, you know you've got the skills but to really understand whether the role of Probate Case Manager is the right fit for you, you need to know exactly what this role entails on a day-to-day basis.
In short, you'll be responsible for managing Probate cases right through from start to finish. What this means in practice is that you'll:
- Value the Estate, settle outstanding liabilities and sell or transfer any assets
- Calculate Inheritance Tax, Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax due from the Estate, identifying all available tax reliefs and applying these where applicable
- Locate and contact all Beneficiaries of the Estate, including any that are missing or estranged
- Liaise with HM Revenue & Customs and arrange payment of any taxes due within the deadlines
- Prepare the final Estate accounts and distribute inheritance to the Beneficiaries
As a Probate Case Manager you will have the benefit of administrative support, meaning that you'll have more time to focus on your casework.
The role of Probate Case Manager allows you to build strong relationships with your clients from the initial call right through to the final distribution of the Estate. Your support and guidance throughout this time will help to ease the burden on clients at a time of grief.
Very helpful and professional throughout. This took a considerable amount of stress away from me at the worst time of my life.
Watch a video testimonial from Probate clients, Brian and Sky, explaining how their Probate Case Manager helped them following the death of Sky's parents.
Where Could It Take Me?
Taking the leap from tax to Probate opens the door into a legal career with huge opportunities for progression. The role of Probate Case Manager will draw on your previous experience and harness the valuable skills that you've nurtured in a tax environment, while diversifying and building on your skillset in a legal capacity.
You will also have the opportunity to enrol on our comprehensive progression framework to take your career to the next level.
The role of Probate Case Manager is rewarding and people-focussed. You will receive full training as well as ongoing support and guidance, while being empowered to take full ownership of your cases without being micromanaged.
Why Choose Co-op Legal Services?
As part of the Co-op Group, we are an ethical organisation that puts openness, honesty, social responsibility and caring for others are at the heart of what we do. We pride ourselves on doing things differently.
You would be joining an award winning Probate team and the largest provider of Probate and Estate Administration services in England and Wales. We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Our values are a true reflection of who we are, and colleagues are encouraged to 'be yourself always,' 'show you care,' 'do what matters most,' and 'succeed together.'
We offer a strong rewards and benefits package to colleagues, as well as a competitive salary.
If you’d like to be a part of it, head to the Co-op Careers Portal to view all jobs and apply.